Friday, September 16, 2011

Next Time, Get it in Writing

After a vicious game of phone and email tag, I finally met with my contact -- well, actually, his partner -- at the Pannasastra University of Cambodia (PUC). I was told that my hours were decreased from 15 to less than 7 per week and I would be getting paid less per hour. What? Are you kidding me?! How do you do that to someone who came all the way from New York? It just makes me realize that I should've gotten something in writing -- and not just an email saying "we're good" -- from the school before I left New York (yes, yes, Vesta, you were right).

Luckily, I had plans to get a second job and reached out to other schools before I left. One of them, the Cambodian Professional Training Center, asked me to come in and teach a class of students (ages 14-19) as part of my interview. The kids responded well to me and the school director was impressed with my teaching style. They offered me 15 hours per week. Now, I have to decide which school I want to teach at.

No comments:

Post a Comment