Wednesday, September 7, 2011

On My Way to Cambodia

Today, I leave for Phnom Penh, Cambodia, on a journey I never would've imagined taking. Certainly not on my own, flying thousands of miles away from everything I know, to where the native language is not English. Their second language is not even English!

Yes, I visited last year but that was only for two weeks. This time around, I will spend 3-4 months teaching English to students at the Pannasastra University of Cambodia (PUC). My start date is September 21st. It will be on a part-time basis (15 hour per week).

Why so few hours? Well, most Cambodian students, regardless of their age, can only afford to go to school for half a day. The other half of the day, they're working to help support the family. Plus, I'd actually earn more in a week than an average Cambodian earns in a month. More on that later.

I will be staying at Rory's Guesthouse for the first week while I find a rental apartment and meet with school officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment